Thursday, May 25, 2017

Christmas in Thailand: Day 7-9 CHRISTMAS DAY!

DAY SEVEN/EIGHT:

Other than the 4 islands tour of death and beauty, we didn’t do much on Koh Lanta other than enjoy its food, views, and beach walking. We got a lot of reading done and just enjoyed relaxing. To be honest, I needed a day to recover from my nausea. Happy tears streamed down my face when I woke up on Day 7 in solid ground NOT rocking back and forth in a rain soaked boat. I’m easy to please!

So our last few days in Lanta we saw a washed up jellyfish which was kind of cool and ate more dessert at “The Kitchen” where we had to wait over an hour because the place rocks and it was so worth the wait!

The next day we hopped a tuktuk to the pier and boated over to the even smaller island of Railay Beach. SO small in fact that there are no tuktuks, taxis, bikes, or anything…. Just walking. Our hotel was on the opposite side of the beach and we walked there in about five minutes. Loved it!

We got to Railay beach around dinner time so we picked some random restaurant, which was stupid, ate there, grabbed some beach snacks and sat on the beach listening to Christmas music and watched the sunset. Perfect way to spend Christmas eve night!







DAY NINE (Christmas Day!!!):

The next morning I woke up really excited. It was Christmas!!! We had breakfast at the hotel (a decent spread considering the food options on the beach, in my opinion, weren’t the best) and made a plan to check out the caves and snorkel. I dawned my Santa hat even though it was a million degrees as per my mom’s request to get a Christmas hat picture on the beach! I was boiling but people were smiling at me and some even wished us a Merry Christmas. Believe it or not, we didn’t get a lot of smiley face wishes, but it didn’t matter. 
We were still happy to be on a beach having a very untraditional Christmas! We checked out some caves and swam through an area that had a big DANGER sign that I saw after swimming in it. I felt really badass to have swam through a place that had something called “Portugese Manowar” (I called it Man of War for months… Bernard just corrected me now) that could cause death. Don’t worry Mom and Dad! We are fine and many people were swimming there. I think the sign was outdated. No big deal!


Anyway, so we snorkeled all over the caves and around giant rocks and such. Railay had the best snorkeling of the trip that’s for sure! 

We spent hours enjoying the sea life and every now and then coming to shore for a fruit smoothie to regain sustenance before hopping back in the water to check out more coral and fish!

We decided to have a special Christmas dinner at a very popping restaurant that had a cute cocktail bar attached. My food was delicious and my drink even more so! It was a perfect day, until…

Around midnight, my tummy was like GET UP WOMAN and I had a bout of the most horrific food poisoning known to man for about 48 hours solid. It was the worst thing ever; however, I must admit, if you are going to toss your cookies for what seems like a lifetime, it’s nice to do so in your own private hut amongst nature and monkeys and beautiful sunshine. Hah! The silver lining needed to be found! What a Christmas! So I spent two days in bed reading and sleeping and heaving and throwing up. It was awful. I hallucinated hardcore too. I thought I was going to die, but luckily before our boat back to Ao Nang and later flight, I felt kind of alive enough to make it back to Shanghai! Thank goodness. What a Christmas indeed!!! Next year, I think we will lay low. I cannot handle another perfect storm food poisoning throw up Christmas… but it was a Christmas to remember that’s for sure.




No comments:

Post a Comment